Sunday, April 22, 2018

Anthony Lakes Snowshoe 2018

Friday, April 20
Driving north toward Haines, the Wallowas were amazing in the distance.

     
On an absolutely crystal clear, blue sky day I decide to join Rick on a little snowshoe adventure up at Anthony Lakes.  The ski area is closed and though it was a Friday, we only encountered one other car in the parking lot when we started out.  Our trip was probably no more than 2 1/2 miles - up Road Run to Hoffer basin and lakes, and then back down to Anthony and the truck.  I'm not writing alot in this blog, but mostly posting a number of pictures 'for the record'!!  

Baker Valley springtime views

Starting out and heading up Road Run. 

Snowmobilers have made all sorts of patterns as we head up Road Run. 
I turned around at one point and saw the Wallowas in the distance. 

I love the patterns created by
shadows in the snow. 
More shadows! 





At the top of Road Run, the sheer wall of Lees Peak and more snowmobile designs.  
Rick gazes out over the basin.  
I thought the contrails of the plane looked like dotted lines across the sky. 
Lakes Lookout
Lees Peak and Lakes Lookout
Rick heads across Hoffer Lake with Lees Peak in background
We ate a little lunch on top of the exposed rocks.  This is the peninsula between the two sides of Hoffer Lakes. 
Rick's ski pole and the trail sign show there is still plenty of
 snow up at Hoffer Lake. 
 

Gunsight Peak with a spring-fed sinkhole along the lake shore.  
Not sure what the black square is, but you'd better not need to use the bathroom!  
Enroute home, the Wallowas are still a long string of white, especially beautiful with red barns! 
Rick snaps a 'selfie' of us with Lees and Lakes Peaks in the background

What a great day!  I am a little out of shape since I think this was my first, and probably only, snowshoe of the year.  Glad I decided there was nothing that important on my 'to do' list for the day!  













No comments:

Post a Comment